Welcome to the IDEAS Center. The IDEAS Center works to shift from unsustainable infrastructure and environment to practices more attuned to the challenges of the 21st century. It aims and works to create dynamic as well as strategic project-specific research collaborations among faculty and staff at UNC Charlotte, other institutions, regional / local agencies and the private sector in the following thematic areas.
- Safe and Sustainable Transportation Initiatives (includes Transportation Planning, Traffic Operations and Intelligent Transportation Systems)
- Materials and Science for Sustainable Infrastructure
- Environment and Water Quality / Treatment
The IDEAS Center is committed to integrating its work with undergraduate and graduate education programs so that UNC Charlotte’s graduates understand the challenges and can contribute to 21st century solutions and advances.Through its efforts, the Center supports the vision, mission and values of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), the William States Lee College of Engineering (COE) and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNC Charlotte). The following are the mission and goals / focus of the IDEAS Center.
- To catalyze and facilitate cross-disciplinary research, especially in the areas of resilient and sustainable infrastructure, environmental systems, and transportation.
- Foster graduate and undergraduate student involvement in research.
- Explore and involve in a focused set of professional & community engagement activities.